2017.07.21

No release today.

The last weeks I have spend less time writing code and thinking more about the world, the character simulation and the game in general. I think the main issue I have currently with the game (and myself), is that I want too much and everything at the same time.

So I decided on some compromises:

Very reluctantly I removed the support for a custom UI which can be managed by the knit programming language. If there is sufficient interest in UI customization in the future, I will create a nice JavaScript API. I really, really wanted to make this feature possible, but the work required to get this right is not doable if I want to actually write a game some day.

I am currently adjusting the knit compiler to the changes, this decision and the use of Akka, a framework for distributed computations, brought: I'm removing volatile data types and automatic change propagation as they are not necessary anymore. I also plan to decouple the structure analysis level completely from the execution level to support multi threading better. All this should result in an improved performance and simpler API.

Get reign